- Main campus: Newcastle, New South Wales
- Student population: 11,500
- THE rank in Australia: 22
- QS rank in Australia: 12
- THE global top 200 universities for business and economics, and top 250 for education, computer science, engineering, and clinical and health
- QS score of 75% or more for citations per faculty, international faculty ratio, and international research network
- CRICOS reference: 00109J
The University of Newcastle, Australia, consistently ranks among Australia’s top research universities in the QS World University Rankings, and the top 200 universities worldwide. The value and breadth of its research initiatives have earned Newcastle the highest possible rating from Excellence in Research Australia in 22 distinct fields of research.
Its strong partnerships with government organisations and private industry reflect Newcastle’s vital role in providing innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing issues. The University of Newcastle Australia was named the world’s leading university for sustainable-development partnerships in the 2021 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings, which assess universities’ overall impact against the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Among its research institutes are the Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources and the Hunter Medical Research Institute, each of which supports ground-breaking cross-disciplinary insights and analysis. The University has committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2025.
Most of the University’s 37,000 students live near its main Callaghan campus in Newcastle, a vital and burgeoning harbour town and New South Wales’ second-largest city. The campus lies just minutes from both Newcastle’s city centre and some of Australia’s most beautiful beaches; Newcastle is just two hours north of Sydney. The University of Newcastle also maintains vibrant campus communities in Newcastle’s central business district, Central Coast, and Port Macquarie. A smaller campus in Sydney offers select business courses, and the University also operates a campus in Singapore. Each offers a challenging and rewarding academic experience with easy access to the businesses and institutions that help bring the benefits of Newcastle’s research to the world.
Its remarkably productive employers across the globe have made the University of Newcastle Australia the top-ranked Australian university for industry collaboration. Newcastle students enjoy unmatched opportunities to tailor their degrees for maximum real-world relevance, to gain professional experience before receiving their degrees, and to develop strong, profitable global professional networks while still in school. Especially popular are the University’s many dual-degree schemes, including its highly regarded Master of Professional Accounting/Master of Business Administration option.
As intense as intellectual life can be at the University of Newcastle, it places just as much importance on its students’ quality of life. Its on-campus student accommodations and comprehensive student-support services have earned Newcastle the Asia Pacific Association for Student Housing award for Excellence in Student Experience.
The University’s vibrant student body includes students from more than 120 countries. Each enjoys a remarkable degree of support, including a range of scholarships, valued at up to AU$60,000, reserved especially for international students. This financial support enhances the value of Newcastle’s already highly cost-effective courses, especially its top-rated business courses. International students are eligible for three-year work visas following their studies at University of Newcastle Australia.
- Newcastle Callaghan
- Newcastle City
- Port Macquarie
Engineering and Related Technologies
- Master of Professional Engineering - can be focused on Civil, Chemical, Mechanical, Geospatial, or Electrical engineering. CRICOS Course CODE: 098284F
Management and Commerce
- Master of Professional Accounting (Advanced) - offered at the University’s Sydney campus. CRICOS Course code: 065471J
- Master of Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development - students receive UN certification on completion. CRICOS Course Code: 095159B
- University of Newcastle’s MBA course - among the best and most highly regarded in the world. CRICOS Course Code: 096747G
- Master of Applied Finance/ Master of Applied Finance course - accredited by the CFA. CRICOS Course Code: 084250J
Society and Culture
- Juris Doctor / Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice - can be completed in just three years, including the practical training required to practise law in Australia. CRICOS Course code: 079631E