Master of Marine Biology
Develop a comprehensive knowledge of marine biology as well as a diverse skill set with this interdisciplinary marine biology degree. Participate in specialised, hands-on training in unmatched locations like the JCU Orpheus Island Research Station on the Great Barrier Reef. Gain extensive experience in research methods and data and laboratory analysis while honing your data science and communication skills to bring your practice and research to the next level. Prepare for your future career through internships within government agencies and research institutions involved with the stewardship of UNESCO World Heritage-listed coral reefs and other extraordinary environments like mangrove forests and the deep sea.
- #1 in the world for Marine Biology
- #1 in Australia for sustainable education
- Big focus on professional development. Students get lots of opportunities to complete professional internships, workshops, industrial projects etc.
- 3-year post-study work visa (2-year for Brisbane)
- HQ for the Australian Institute of Marine Science in Townsville
- HQ for barrier reef marine parks in Townsville
CRICOS Course Code: 107243C
Master of Marine Science and Management
This is a unique interdisciplinary degree that will train you in new approaches that span beyond traditionally taught subjects in marine science. Our program offers you new approaches to important marine issues through the use of geographic information tools (GIS), remote sensing data analysis, and habitat mapping. You will also have the opportunity to do fieldwork on the Great Barrier Reef, or to apply for sea training on Australia’s most prestigious marine research vessel, the RV Investigator. This unparalleled interdisciplinary and cross-institutional degree will train you to be part of a new generation of marine scientists who have the skills necessary to take leading roles in protecting and conserving coastal and oceanic environments.
CRICOS Course Code: 099513A
Master of Marine and Antarctic Science
This is the only master's degree in the world which uniquely combines marine science with a focus on the southern ocean and Antarctica. You will have access to industry-leading facilities at the Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies (IMAS) and internationally recognised experts to help you kick-start your career. As a gateway to Antarctica and with a natural marine laboratory on your doorstep, the University of Tasmania provides an ideal base to study for a career in ocean governance, marine biology and the fisheries and aquaculture industries.
- Due to its unique ecology and position as the gateway to the Antarctic, The University of Tasmania is a world leader in the fields of Marine and Antarctic Science, Maritime and Environmental studies.
- Home to the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies and the Australian Maritime College
- The University of Tasmania has ranked #3 on Climate Action for universities internationally. The first Australasian STARS-ratedrated institution, achieving a Silver rating in August 2020.
- 3-year post-study work visa
CRICOS Course Code: 096366J
Master of Ecotourism
This master’s provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to participate in the growing nature-based industry. This course is delivered in Albany, an area that is known to be one of the most environmentally diverse. The course has a strong emphasis on fieldwork, industry case studies and the development of partnerships with the tourism industry.
CRICOS Course Code: 084737G
Master of Biological Science
Western Australia (WA) is a terrestrial biodiversity hot spot. Up to 80 per cent of the region's plants and invertebrates are unique to the area, and the state is a stronghold for threatened mammals. This makes WA the ideal living laboratory for studies in biological science. Students can choose either Zoology, Ecology or Conservation Biology as a major.
CRICOS Course Code: 082277C
Master of Biotechnology
This course offers a thorough grounding in state-of-the-art biotechnology in combination with training in enterprise, commercialisation and intellectual property (IP) protection. Students have a choice of majors out of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Environmental and Agricultural Biotechnology or Genetics and Genomics.
CRICOS Course Code: 082279A
Master of Ocean Leadership
This is a niche, multidisciplinary course, bringing together knowledge from science, engineering, law and environmental management. There are no other programs like it in Australia. Students get to work closely with the UWA Oceans Institute which includes over 100 of the world's most recognised ocean engineers, marine scientists, oceanographers, and oceans governance specialists
CRICOS Course Code: 096270F
Master of Medical Biotechnology
This degree is designed through the lens of global perspectives in science where you will also be exposed to emerging technologies such as the use of drones, artificial intelligence AI, coding and virtual reality (google VR) in science data collection and analysis during your first-year core subjects.
CRICOS Course Code: 097264G
Max entry-level salary (£ x1,000)
High demand in Australia*
Very high demand in Australia**
Very high demand in the UK
Higher education lecturer
Nature conservation officer
Scientific laboratory technician
Teaching laboratory technician
* Likely to qualify for a Skilled Independent or Temporary Graduate visa in Australia.
** Likely to be fast-tracked for visas in Australia.
Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
NHS trusts and private hospitals
Universities, colleges, and schools
Clinical research organisations
National and international health, conservation, and environmental organisations
Scientific and technical consultancies
Educational-outreach organisations such as science centres, broadcasters, and museums
- Study in Australia
- Study in Dubai
- Why Go and What's Involved
- Explore Australia
Choose a University
- Australian National University
- Bond University
- Flinders University
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- La Trobe University
- Macquarie University
- Monash University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- The University of Newcastle (UoN)
- The University of Western Australia (UWA)
- University of Tasmania
- University of Wollongong (UoW)
Choose a Course
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies
- Architecture and Building
- Creative Arts
- Engineering and Related Technologies
- Information Technology
- Management and Commerce
- Mixed Field Programmes
- Natural and Physical Sciences
- Society and Culture (inc. Law)
- Student Support
- Apply Now
- Contact Us