The John Lewis Partnership is an employee-owned UK partnership which operates John Lewis department stores, Waitrose supermarkets and a number of other services. The company is owned by a trust on behalf of all its employees - known as partners - who have a say in the running of the business and receive a share of annual profits, which is usually a significant addition to their salary. The group is the third largest UK private company in the Sunday Times Top Track 100 for 2010.
Additionally, John Lewis also has the distinction of being UK's best high-street website after beating M&S in October 2010. The chain's image is up market, and it appeals strongly to middle and upper class shoppers. Recently, however, John Lewis has broadened its marketing strategy towards all types of buyers, with the introduction of the 'Value' range to John Lewis and the 'Essential' range to Waitrose, and with the expansion of the business.
The John Lewis graduate scheme
The initial training period is designed to develop graduates with vision, drive and determination into the future leaders of retail. We offer intensive, comprehensive training which is widely respected as among the best in the industry. Yet even while you’re learning, your ideas and contribution will be welcomed and rewarded from day one.
With early responsibility as prevalent as long-term career possibilities, this is your chance to embrace unlimited potential and make a lasting impact.
The minimum criteria is as follows:
- Have gained a degree equivalent to a BA, BSc or higher at a 2:2 or above (this can be in any subject).
- GCSE Maths and English grade C or above or equivalent.
- You must be prepared to work anywhere throughout the UK for at least the first 18 months.
- Retail is not a nine to five, Monday to Friday job. You must be prepared to regularly work some weekends and late nights.
- We are looking for the managers of our future, so want to see people who love working in a branch and realise that this is not a desk-based job. If you wish to work in one location only or at Head Office, you should look at the other schemes we offer.
We are sorry, if you do not meet the above minimum criteria, we will not be able to consider your application.