Pathways to Planning Programme - Graduate Trainee Planner
- Nationwide, Any
- £30,000 YEAR
- 2nd Apr ’24
- 39 days left!
Pathways to Planning is a graduate programme, which aims to discover graduates from all degree backgrounds with a passion for helping communities and designing built and natural environments, to become local government planners.
What is the role?
Employed on a three-year fixed-term contract, you will work for a council and gain varied work experience across different specialties within planning departments. You will be mentored by more senior members of staff within the planning department and supported through an introduction to planning course provided by the Pathways to Planning team.
Graduates will undertake a fully funded master’s in planning through a master’s course or level 7 apprenticeship, with the support of their employing council. Once graduates have finished their postgraduate study, they are on track to become fully accredited planners and then able to progress into more senior roles. Council planning teams have excellent career progression routes, and a vested interest in seeing their Pathways graduates succeed.
Where will I be based?
The scheme will work with local councils across England and Wales who will hire graduates as part of the programme and support their career development as accredited planning professionals, these include:
- Lancaster City Council
- Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council
- Bromsgrove District Council and Redditch Borough Council
- London Borough of Haringey
- London Borough of Islington
- London Borough of Lambeth
- London Borough of Barnet
East of England
- Brentwood Borough Council
- Rochford District Council
- Uttlesford District Council
- Gloucestershire County Council
- Hertsmere Borough Council
- New Forest District Council
- North Devon Council
- North Somerset Council
- Maidstone Borough Council
As councils continue to sign up, find the most up-to-date list of cohort 2 partner councils at https://www.local.gov.uk/pathways-to-planning/where-could-i-work.
Why should you apply?
- MA or MSc in Planning (fully funded, study part-time over two years) through a master’s course or level 7 apprenticeship
- £24-37,000 salary depending on location (plus London weighting if applicable)
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Flexible working arrangements
- Paid time off work to study
How do you apply?
Pathways to Planning recruits graduates from all backgrounds, universities and degree disciplines, this programme is open to graduates from all degree backgrounds with a 2.1 undergraduate degree (or equivalent) by Summer 2024.
Applications are now open, click Apply Now below!