NB: please do not try these at home!
Identities have been kept anonymous for obvious reasons.
1. They completely fluffed it up"A candidate of mine stopped mid-way through their interview for about 30 seconds trying to catch a piece of fluff that was floating in the air between her and the Managing Director of the firm. The candidate was also wildly gesticulating for most of the interview and sweating profusely. The interviewer wouldn't have been surprised if they had been 'intoxicated' the whole way through."
2. Yet another expenses scandal..."One candidate tried to ask for £160 train ticket home on expenses, when I told them maximum was £50"
3. Bye Felicia"Someone turned up for their interview, asked to use the toilet, and then legged it home."
4. Child labour gone worse"I went in for an interview once for a Saturday shop assistant for a boutique shop. The woman took one look at me and said "There's no point in me even interviewing you because our customers won't be able to relate to a child. But I do have some shoe boxes in the stock room that need sorting if you wanted to stay for an unpaid trial and try to change my mind.""
5. NSFW"Someone I know started talking about intercourse during a competency-based interview."
6. You're invited to our aSTRESSment day"I also had an assessment day for a company in London. It was super high pressure, lots of presentations and tests etc. They even "assessed” us while we had lunch to test our networking abilities; we were there from 7am until 7pm! Throughout the day, I'm pretty sure I saw about 10 candidates crying and three people throwing up from stress – HORRIBLE!"
7. A stain on their reputation?"I once interviewed with a company two days on the trot. The first day I was interviewed by one director and the second day I was due to be interviewed by the second director. Unfortunately the second director was unexpectedly off work so couldn't run my second interview, so the first director stood in, wearing the exact same clothes as the day before, complete with a 'night out stain.'"
This quote was also featured in an article that GRB contributed towards through the Undercover Recruiter. Have you got any cringe-worthy interviews to add to our list? Let us know on twitter @thegrbteam
Need some expert advice on how to actually interview? See our detailed guide on graduate interviews or check out our advice on industry specific graduate interview questions, and how to prepare your own answers.