British Horseracing Authority Company Profile
What We Do
Together, we’re building a brighter future for our sport, our horses and our people.
The British Horseracing Authority is responsible for the governance, administration and regulation of horseracing and the wider horseracing industry in Britain. The BHA leads on the development and growth of racing, and prioritises the health and welfare of the sport’s participants.
In a forward-thinking environment that encourages collaboration, cohesion, commitment and confidence, the BHA provides leadership for British racing that is protective of the deep traditions and proud history of the sport whilst guiding it towards a bright future.
The BHA, with a culture that respects and recognises the contributions and professionalism of its diverse people, seeks to understand, be attentive to, and be proactive in addressing the needs of its participants and wider stakeholders.
The BHA is proud to be a founding signatory of the sport’s Industry Commitment to improve diversity and inclusion. The BHA’s own Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan can be viewed here.
The BHA want to attract, recruit and nurture the best people from a wide range of backgrounds. We know the value in bringing together a variety of experiences.
Regulation and governance
- Keeping racing fair and clean – the BHA aims to maintain the integrity of British racing by supporting participants to comply with the rules and by dealing appropriately and effectively with rule breaches
- Delivering competitive and compelling racing – the BHA aims to produce a fixture list and race programme that works for horsemen and racecourses and drives wider engagement in our sport
Health, development and growth of the sport
- Securing long-term, sustainable funding for the sport – the BHA aims to represent and promote the best interests of racing with one clear voice
- Working with others to grow the sport – the BHA aims to ensure all participant groups benefit from growth in our sport
Health and welfare of the sport’s horses and people
- Leading on equine health and welfare – the BHA aims to prioritise the health and welfare of racehorses and sets standards to ensure they receive first-class care and attention
- Looking after our people – the BHA aims to prioritise the well-being and development of racing’s people and supports others to make racing a great place to work
Reasons to work for the BHA
The BHA does not take the success of the sport for granted and knows that the sustainability of the organisation rests on investing in its people. The BHA’s employees:
- Gain experience of the racing industry
- Are part of one of the leading sports regulators in the world
- Have the ability to make a difference to racing
- Become part of a unique culture with a committed team
- Join a passionate and supportive workforce
- Are presented with a fantastic platform to begin a career in racing
Integrity: The BHA aims to do the right thing to uphold its reputation for fairness, and to maintain the trust of its stakeholders.
Accountable: The BHA aims to take personal responsibility for its actions and strive to improve the health of British Racing.
Credible: The BHA aims to be open and honest about what it does, and treat everyone fairly and with respect
Responsive:The BHA aims to stay in-tune with the sport’s diverse stakeholders so that it can effectively meet agreed objectives and goals.
Progressive: The BHA aims to promote a forward-thinking and collaborative culture while respecting the strong heritage of British Racing as a sport and an industry.